Outback Challenge Mad Max Hard Enduro | News
A new hard enduro event has been added to the Australian off-road racing calendar with The Outback Challenge introducing the Mad Max Hard Enduro.
Mad Max takes competitors through the most extreme terrain that the Australian Outback has to offer. Guided by GPS navigation competitors are required to complete the 140km course within 8 hours.
The Outback Challenge is a cross country navigation event that runs for six days. In 2010, organisers pulled the pin on the event but in 2014 Steve Tjepkema brought it back. Steve has ridden and raced dirtbikes for over 30 years and has also raced 4WD’s in the Outback Challenge and many other events.
For the relaunch of the event, Steve changed the format and it now runs like an ISDE. The final stage, Max Max, is a 140km course that competitors in 4WD’s have 8 hours to complete. Most don’t. It is a perfect course for a hard enduro. So for the first time in the event’s history, for 2017 they are including bikes in this epic stage.
Here are the details:
• The date is Friday the 29th of September.
• Sign in and Scrutineering will be on Thursday the 28th of September.
• The start/finish line is approximately 30km out of Broken Hill on the Silver City Hwy. Camping will be available on site for $10/person.
• Vehicles and trailers will be secure onsite.
• It is a Motorcycling Australia affiliated event. Day Licences will be available for $75.
• The entry price is $185.
• The course is a single loop of approximately 140km. It is a mix of heavy sandy creek beds, extreme rocky gorges, and shaley hills.
• It will be a hands on head motocross start.
• Numbers are limited for this year.
• It is a hard enduro and the riding is challenging.
• There will be two pits.
• The course is navigated by GPS. You will be given a gpx file to download to your gps. This will give you a line you have to follow.
There will be a few signs on the course with bunting where it matters. If you don’t have a GPS you won’t know where to go.
For 2017 riders are limited so you will have to be quick as there has been a lot of expressions of interest. It will be first in best dressed and those that have registered their interest will get priority.
To enter, click HERE