Yamaha unveils 2019 two-stroke lineup | News
Yamaha has announced its two-stroke motocross models for 2019 highlighted by the new YZ85. The lineup includes the return of the iconic YZ125 and YZ250.
New 2019 YZ85
The new 2019 YZ85 youth motocross bike arrives with major redesigns purely focused on performance. Featuring an all-new engine, suspension, and more.
A newly-designed 85cc liquid-cooled 2-stroke engine featuring a case reed-valve intake and a mechanical Yamaha Power Valve System (YPVS) lies at the heart of the 2019 YZ85. Combined with a redesigned cylinder and head, crankcase, crankshaft, connecting rod, transmission, exhaust and CDI unit, this new YZ engine is claimed to provide broad, tractable power across the rev range without losing peak power at high RPM.
Updated Chassis and Optimized Ergonomics
The semi-double-cradle steel frame, removable subframe and redesigned aluminium swing-arm provide a nimble feel, confident handling and ease of maintenance. The ergonomics feature a flat, comfortable seat, four-position adjustable aluminium tapered handlebars and adjustable-reach levers to provide comfort and ease of movement for a wide range of young rider sizes.
Updated Brake System
For 2019, a new, stiffer front brake line with new routing improves braking feel, while wave-style brake discs offer improved self-cleaning and cooler-running performance. The 220mm front disc and 190mm rear disc deliver strong, precise stopping power.
Easily Tuned KYB® Coil Spring Suspension
The new YZ85 features KYB®’s race-proven, fully adjustable 36mm coil spring fork with one-piece outer tubes and tapered shape to provide optimal rigidity balance. This provides exceptional handling, bump absorption and ease of set-up for race-winning performance. The KYB® fully adjustable link-type shock utilizes specially designed damping characteristics to match the new chassis.
Here is what the new YZ85 features:
– All-new YPVS equipped two-stroke engine
– New crankcase, intake and expansion chamber for improved gas flow and enhanced power delivery
– Revised transmission provides improved gear engagement and smoother shifts
– New lightweight high capacity radiator
– High-flow airbox ensures excellent air cleaning performance and easy maintenance
– New lightweight 36mm KYB inverted cartridge fork features new settings and new lower fork guards provide protection
– Fully adjustable shock with progressive linkage-type design features updated settings
– Redesigned swingarm features a new composite chain guide as well as updated chain adjusters for easier maintenance
– Lightweight subframe is removable to allow easy maintenance
– New front brake line
– Lightweight wheels
– Lightweight rims are durable and reduce unsprung weight for optimal suspension performance
– New for Dunlop knobbies provide exceptional traction on a variety of tracks and terrain
– New four-position adjustable rider ergonomics
– New four-position adjustable handlebar mounts and taper-style handlebars allow the rider to tune the handlebar position to suit their size and preferences. The flat fuel tank, radiator shrouds, side panels and rear fender provide generous freedom of movement.
The new YZ85 comes in two variants with different sized wheels. The standard model with 17in front and 14in rear wheels is priced at $6799 and the LW model with 19in front and 16in rear wheels is priced at $7399 RRP.
2019 YZ125 and YZ250
The legendary YZ125 and YZ250 models return for 2019 to complete Yamaha’s lineup of 2-stroke motocross bikes. Lightweight aluminum frames and patented YPVS™-equipped (Yamaha Power Valve System), reed-valve inducted engines provide an incredible power-to-weight ratio while maintaining Yamaha’s excellent reliability and durability. Both the YZ125 and YZ250 each receive the same industry leading KYB spring-type fork and KYB rear shock for unmatched handling on the track.