ALL-NEW 2022 YAMAHA YZ125 | News
As the first full model change in more than 15 years, Yamaha engineers put considerable thought into developing a motorcycle that would bridge the gap between recreation riding and competition.
The liquid-cooled 125cc two-stroke engine has been thoroughly reworked to produce more power. Every functional part of the 2022 YZ125 engine is new, including the cylinder body, cylinder head, piston, piston pin, connecting rod, crankcase and expansion chamber.
It all adds up to increased power across the mid- to high-rpm range. Enhancing fuelling and power delivery, a new high-precision Hitachi Astemo Keihin PWK38S carburettor with throttle position sensor and 3D-map-controlled CDI unit provide clean, crisp throttle response and superior rideability. A new intake design with VForce4 carbon reed valve leads to a more efficient draw of air into the engine for an improved feeling of power in the low rpm range.
To match increased engine performance, an updated lightweight braking system features larger front pistons, a more rigid caliper, a redesigned 270mm front rotor with a 30% increase in pad contact area and higher friction pad material, all combining to provide exceptional braking power and feel.
A redesigned rear rotor maintains the same braking power while dropping outer diameter from 245mm to 240mm, reducing unsprung weight without compromising performance. Taking the YZ125’s category-defining suspension and handling characteristics to a new level, front and rear suspension damping has been revised to further improve bump absorption and cornering performance. Best-in-class KYB suspension includes an inverted front fork, now with new fork internals for more precise damping.
A new flatter seat and more narrow fuel tank design, along with smoothly integrated body panels and slimmer radiator shroud width all combine to enable greater freedom of movement forward and back, allowing the rider to easily shift body weight for increased control and confidence.
YZ125 will be available in Team Yamaha Blue or Monster Energy Yamaha Racing Edition with premium embedded graphics to ensure outstanding durability and scratch resistance. Availability for both models are due in Q4 2021 with Ride Away Pricing – $10,799 for Team Yamaha Blue and $10,899 for Monster Energy Yamaha Racing Edition.
2022 YZ125 features and benefits
• Redesigned liquid-cooled Yamaha Power Valve System (YPVS) 125cc two-stroke engine boasts more power in the mid- to high-range for increased usability over the previous model
• New high-precision Hitachi Astemo Keihin PWK38S carburettor features throttle position sensor and 3D-map-controlled CDI unit resulting in crisp throttle response and superior rideability
• New straight intake design improves feeling of power in the low rpm range
• New shorter, lighter muffler
• High performance brake setup features more rigid front caliper, larger front pistons and redesigned rotors with increased pad contact area for exceptional stopping power and feel, along with less unsprung weight
• Improved rider ergonomics with a narrower tank, flatter seat and slimmer radiator shrouds offering greater freedom of movement
• Fully adjustable KYB inverted front fork now includes a leaf spring in the mid-speed valve for increased performance and comfort
• Revised fully adjustable KYB rear shock features reduced-friction Kashima Coat internals
• Race-proven, highly developed forged aluminium semi-double cradle frame
• Removable aluminium rear subframe constructed of square-section tubing for reduced weight
• Lightweight finely tuned chassis for nimble handling, more control and less rider fatigue
• Revised six-speed, close-ratio transmission has wider transmission gear tooth width and new, optimised gear ratios for maximum performance
• New lightweight rear sprocket design
• New lightweight chain
• High-capacity radiator features a 10-row core with blacked-out louvres to deliver maximum cooling and aggressive looks
• Lightweight aluminium handlebar with two-position adjustable handlebar clamp
• Adjustable clutch lever with cable adjuster
• New premium graphics are now embedded for improved durability and scratch resistance
• Race-developed Bridgestone Battlecross X20 tyres