Light, nimble and fun with a top shelf suspension setup, the YZ85/LW has gone under the knife for more upgrades for 2022!
Along with its proven liquid-cooled YPVS-equipped 85cc powerplant, fully adjustable suspension and large diameter brakes, the new 2022 YZ85 boasts numerous enhancements designed to expand its overall performance.
Rider ergonomics have been improved by way of a new, narrower tank design, flatter seat, new side covers and slimmer, symmetrical radiator shrouds. This enables greater freedom of movement for smooth shifting of body weight and better machine control.
Along with the new bodywork, a sharp, new premium graphics scheme inspired by its YZ125 sibling highlights its distinctive race-bred YZ DNA. The redesigned seat and rear bodywork also enable an updated rear-positioned straight-through intake for an improved feeling of power in the low rpm range.
For demanding junior racers, the new YZ85 has been enhanced in several key chassis areas to optimise strength and rigidity, including revisions to the main frame, swingarm and rear wheel axle. The aluminium swingarm was redesigned to enhance balance between longitudinal and torsional rigidity for improved handling stability. A new removable rear subframe constructed from lightweight, high-strength aluminium reduces weight. The rear brake master cylinder now has a built-in sub-reservoir providing more linear brake response and increased control.
For 2022, the YZ85LW (Large Wheel) model takes the race-winning YZ85 formula and enhances off-road capability even more with the addition of a larger 19-inch front wheel and 16-inch rear wheel wrapped in high performance Dunlop MX3S tyres.
A longer swingarm accommodates the larger rear wheel and increases handling stability. The YZ85LW is designed to be the ideal transition between the standard YZ85 and the full size YZ125, perfect for those advanced 85cc riders looking for a big bike feel.
Availability for both models are due early 2022 with Ride Away Pricing – $7,899 for YZ85 and $8,299 for YZ85LW.
2022 YZ85/LW features and benefit
• Improved rider ergonomics with a narrower tank, flatter seat and slimmer, symmetrical shrouds offering greater freedom of movement
• New straight intake design improves feeling of power in the low rpm range
• New removable lightweight aluminium rear subframe is 570g lighter than previous steel frame
• Aluminium swingarm designed to improve longitudinal and torsional rigidity for better handling
• New rear brake master cylinder design with built-in sub-reservoir provides more linear brake response
• New premium graphics are now embedded for improved durability and scratch resistance
• New lightweight handlebar is 40g lighter than previous model
• Four-position handlebar mounts adjust to suit rider preference
• Advanced 85cc two-stroke engine features the Yamaha Power Valve System for broad power delivery
• Crankcase design features a spacer-style reed valve intake for improved air/gas flow
• Hitachi Astemo Keihin PWK28 flat-slide carburettor offers seamless throttle response
• Race-proven KYB inverted cartridge fork and KYB rear shock are fully adjustable
• Big 220mm and 190mm wave-rotor disc brakes offer precise control and one-finger stopping power
• Transmission features oversized gears for enhanced engagement and smoother shifts
• Blue lightweight rims are stylish, durable, reduce unsprung weight and come wrapped in high performance Dunlop MX3S tyres
• High-capacity lightweight radiator has large cores for efficiency and new blacked-out louvres for a more aggressive look