2017 Honda CRF450R: The Desert Weapon | Back End | Bike Reviews | Features | Reader's Ride
ADB Tech Editor Mat Boyd has been clocking up the race hours lately and recently conquered the Sporties 12hr desert race in Alice Springs.
Boydy accepted an invitation to race the 12-Hour without really knowing much about it. A quick Google search revealed only a few videos despite big-name riders like Tye Simmonds, David Walsh and Daymon Stokie having participated.
His weapon of choice? A 2017 Honda CRF450R prepared by Desert Edge Motorcycles. In his own words, Boydy said: “It was a thing of beauty and one of the most impressive machines I’ve ridden.”
You can read his full story about racing the grueling event in ADB issue #457, but here’s the rundown on his desert steed.
2017 Desert Edge Racing Team CRF450R
• Twin Wall handlebar, Villopoto bend with crossbrace removed
• Scotts steering damper
• AME handgrips
• Acerbis handguards
• Long-range Acerbis fuel tank
• Acerbis skidplate
• Powerflow cylinder head by Bruce Woodley for DERT
• Map 1 standard, Map 2 aggressive, Map 3 Finke custom by DERT
• Big core FMF single exhaust system with Mega Bomb header
• 18-inch rear wheel
• Dunlop AT81 reinforced tyres
• Ultra heavy-duty tubes
• Desert spec Steg Pegz (mounted further back)
• Kashima/TiNi-coated fork and shock, Finke Desert Race valving by DERT with standard springs
• TM Designs chainslider
• IMS desert spec footpegs (larger platform)
• Baja style, handlebar mounted headlight with amber lense, with piggybacked condensor.
• Topline Upholstery custom seatcover with hump.
• Kustom MX race numbers