Honda Australia has confirmed the 2020 Africa Twin variants scheduled to arrive in Australia during the first quarter of next year.
Honda Australia has stated the 2020 Africa Twin options next year will be; One [base model] Africa Twin variant available with manual transmission, offered in two colours – Grand Prix Red and Matte Ballistic Black. Three Africa Twin Adventure Sports variants available: Manual, DCT and the Africa Twin Adventure Sports ES (DCT with Showa EERA™ /Electronic Suspension.) All three Adventure Sports models are available in Pearl Glare White (Tri-Colour)
The “Africa Twin” mentioned above as only available with manual transmission is the base model option but still comes packed with new features for 2020.
– New 1100cc parallel twin engine – power and torque increases of 7% and 6% respectively, according to Honda.
– 5kg lighter, with 10% improvement in power to weight ratio, thanks to weight reduction in areas including engine, frame and swing arm.
– All-new 6.5” TFT Multi-Information Display incorporates Apple CarPlay® and Bluetooth connectivity, with touchscreen functionality.
– Four pre-set riding modes – plus two user-selectable options – offer scenario-specific tailoring of Power, Engine Braking, Honda Selectable Torque Control, (HSTC), Wheelie Control and Cornering ABS settings.
– HSTC, plus new Cornering ABS, Wheelie Control and Rear Lift Control functions are now managed by a six-axis Inertial Measurement Unit; Cruise Control is standard fit.
The “Africa Twin Adventure Sports” is the long-distance mile muncher. It features a larger 24.8L fuel tank (up from 18.8L), extended wind protection (from both the fairing and fairing side panels), height-adjustable screen, large engine sump guard, aluminium rear carrier plus tubeless wheels and tyres. ACC charger and heated grips are also standard fit.
The DCT variant features Honda’s Dual Clutch Transmission (DCT). It gives the rider the freedom to select standard manual mode – allowing the rider to operate gearshifts through triggers on the left handlebar – and two automatic modes. D mode offers the best balance of fuel economy and comfort cruising whilst S mode gives three different, sportier shift patterns to choose from. The DCT is also fully equipped to operate in an off-road environment and the G button enhances off-road functionality. Pushing the G button in any riding mode modifies the control of the clutch system to give a more direct drive.
The Adventure Sports ES comes equipped with Showa Electronically Equipped Ride Adjustment system (Showa EERA™). The system manages damping force relative to mode selection where a dedicated suspension ECU draws real-time information from front and rear stroke sensors, IMU and Cornering ABS. Rear spring preload can also be adjusted electronically while stationary to suit load. Four default modes – SOFT, MID, HARD and OFF-ROAD – cover every type of riding situation, and there’s a USER mode for further fine-tuning. Rear spring preload can also be adjusted while stationary.
For more information on the 2020 Africa Twin range, visit your nearest Honda Dealer, ring 1 300 1 HONDA or go to https://motorcycles.honda.com.au/Adventure_Touring