France wins MXoN, Australia fourth overall | News
Team France has won the 2018 Motocross of Nations at RedBud for the fifth time in a row while Australia fell just short of a podium finish in fourth.
On a day that saw many of the top seeds struggle in the sloppy conditions, Hunter Lawrence, now riding his GEICO Honda, once again proved himself as Australia’s most competitive rider on the international stage, placing second in Race 2 and eighth in Race 1. Teammate Mitch Evan’s locked in a 10th and 14th while Kirk Gibbs could only manage a 14th and 33rd.
Hometown heroes, Team USA, struggled despite their home track advantage and finished the event sixth overall. Monster Energy Kawasaki’s Eli Tomac was the team’s strongest performer but only managed a fourth as his best result in Race 1.
The over-hyped clash between Tomac and Factory KTM’s Jeffrey Herlings fizzled out to be a non-event. Herlings would finish 1-2 in his two races against Tomac, who would place 4-7. The Americans were outclassed all weekend by the Europeans who were clearly faster in the less than desirable conditions.
Results MXGP Class RedBud 2018
1. Jeffrey Herlings (NED) KTM (1-2)
2. Gautier Paulin (FRA) Husqvarna (2-3)
3. Tony Cairoli (ITA) KTM (6-4)
4. Eli Tomac (USA) Kawasaki (4-7)
5. Tanel Leok (EST) Husqvarna (12-19)
13. Kirk Gibs (AUS) KTM (14-33)
Results MX2 Class RedBud 2018
1. Jorge Prado (SPA) KTM (3-3)
2. Hunter Lawrence (AUS) Honda (8-2)
3. Dylan Ferrandis (FRA) Yamaha (7-8)
4. Ben Watson (GBR) Yamaha (15-4)
5. Michele Cervellin (ITA) Yamaha (10-14)
Results MX Open Class RedBud 2018
1. Glenn Coldenhoff (NED) KTM (1-1)
2. Alessandro Lupino (ITA) Kawasaki (12-5)
3. Jeremy Van Horebeek (BEL) Yamaha (6-11)
4. Max Anstie (GBR) Husqvarna (13-6)
5. Max Nagl (GER) TM (11-8)
8. Mitch Evans (AUS) KTM (10-14)
Final Standings MX of Nations RedBud 2018
1. France, 35 points
2. Italy, 37
3. Netherlands, 41
4. Australia, 48
5. Great Britain, 48
More details to come.